click on the image to enlarge

St. Stanislaus started in 1863 as a 'Native Boy's orphanage', became a high school in 1923 and was the first English medium school in the suburbs. In 1661 when King Charles married Catherina of Portugal, Bombay was given to England as part of the dowry. Salsette was not part of this treaty and remained with the Portuguese. In 1739 with the threat of a Maratha invasion, the Portuguese appealed to the British for help and they suggested to the Portuguese to destroy all fortifications around the chapel and the fortress Aguada.

However the Marathas took over and ruled for 2 decades. But after the battle of Panipat in 1761, Maratha power declined and the British took over and Salsette including Bandra came under British rule. The Portuguese were left with just Goa, Daman and Diu..